In Chinese Calendar, Chinese New Year is just same as the New Year we celebrate on 1st January. The difference is our calendar goes by months with specific number of days (30, 31), but Chinese Calendar goes by moon phases. This calendar is known as a lunisolar calendar. Due to this lunar phases, Chinese New Year is referred as a Lunar New Year. A traditional Chinese holiday and festivities are celebrated on the Chinese New Year. These celebrations start from the Chinese New Year Eve (last day of last month of Chinese Year) and end on the day of Lantern Festival (15th day of first month of new year).
Every Chinese Year is a part of Chinese Zodiac (also called Shen Xiao). Chinese Zodiac is a cycle consist of twelve years. Every year in the cycle has an animal sign associated to it. There are total 12 animal sign (Chinese Zodiac Signs) for each year of the cycle. These animal signs are: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. Chinese Zodiac Cycle start with the Rat and ends at Pig. These Chinese New Year Animals or Chinese Zodiac Signs are associated with other elements (earthly elements). Following are some attribute of every Year:
- Yin: negative/passive/female principle in nature, the moon and many other meanings.
- Yang: positive/active/male principle in nature, the sun and many other meanings.
- Trine: An angle of 120 degree, harmony and ease, and extremely beneficial.
- Fixed Element: Water (emotion, intuition), Wood (strength, flexibility, co-operation), Fire (Energy, Assertiveness, Passion), and Metal (firmness, rigidity, determination).
Chinese Zodiac Characteristics:
- Rat – Yang, 1st Trine, Water)
- Ox – Yin, 2nd Trine, Water)
- Tiger – Yang, 3rd Trine, Wood)
- Rabbit – (Yin, 4th Trine, Wood)
- Dragon – (Yang, 1st Trine, Wood)
- Snake – (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fire)
- Horse – (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fire)
- Goat – (Yin, 4th Trine, Fire)
- Monkey – (Yang, 1st Trine, Metal)
- Rooster – (Yin, 2nd Trine, Metal)
- Dog – (Yang, 3rd Trine, Metal)
- Pig – (Yin, 4th Trine, Water)
This time Chinese New Year 2015 will be on Thursday, February 19. Chinese Year 2015 is a Year of Goat. Which is Yin, 4th Trine and fire element. Here are some Chinese New Year Animals and Signs Collection: